Not Stars... Cinders

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

Just a powerful mental image here... inspired by the music I had on at the time. I dunno, maybe it's another memory from a past life, as I am the narrator, or maybe it's just proof that I was in my most creative mood in a long time.


I gaze up into the sky, to the gods above. All around me; there is naught but destruction. It is dark, but the fires still blaze around me, consuming what little remains of the world I once knew, red and oranges flickering off my ash-dulled scales.

I gaze into the sky, to the points of light above. Not stars... cinders. Each one like a fleeting memory before it is snuffed out by the forces of this cruel world. I walk along the remnants of the road, past all the buildings, wondering how I somehow survived; I suppose it no longer matters. We all knew it was going to end, as soon as the war began, an inevitable conclusion.

I gaze into the sky, to where the instruments of war once flew. Nothing flies now. I daren't even lift off, for fear of burning my wings in the heat above. Instead I only walk along the ground, surrounded by the devastation. I suspect that I am the only thing alive here, as it seems even the plants have given up on living in this nightmare. I know not what caused this, deep down, yet I know it could happen again, in another place, should I do nothing about it.

I gaze into the sky, to the open spaces I once flew. I growl, cursing whoever and whatever did this, turning all I once cared for into ruin. I know that, even had I been here, I could have done nothing but watch, yet I still wish I had been at ground zero, to at least see what caused this world to be reduced to ashes. And as I walk towards a rocky cavern, to wait for the sky to clear, I swear to myself I shall find the source...

No comments:

Post a Comment